Background & Challenge
A global consulting company, recently been through major organisational change, adding to the ‘high stress’ nature of a consulting working environment through uncertainty, a requirement to be more agile, and some changes in the management team.
- To gain data-driven insight into stress levels, unearth hotspot issues and serve as a foundation for a targeted approach for improving workplace wellbeing.
- To enable employees to develop personal resilience strategies through building their awareness of warning signs and providing practical suggestions aligned to their profile.
- Careful communications and briefings to position the initiative and set expectations.
- Consulting department completed the online AURA assessment questionnaire, receiving confidential, personal reports.
- Individuals leveraged the suggestions in their reports as well as the AURA resources library to identify healthier habits and personal actions.
- Team leaders encouraged individuals to share personal needs for support in their 1:1s.
- Workshop with senior management team to review group report, agree priority issues and develop a related action plan to foster a healthier work environment.
- Team leaders shared team level reports as a platform to discuss common issues and agree a remedial team action plan.
Based on AURA insights, management actions to address the priority issues included;
- Creating more opportunities for collaboration to address feelings of isolation.
- Providing greater clarity around career progression pathways to build a stronger sense of career direction
- Enabling senior consultants to work across a broader range of projects and coach the juniors, furthering their career development and contributing to a more supportive environment.
- Exploring new technologies to create more efficiencies in work, addressing common feelings of overwhelm and inability to focus.
- Reducing the number of meetings and implementing shorter ‘team huddles’ and walking meetings.
- Managers reported a tangible change in levels of engagement and morale.
- Whilst the backdrop of change and uncertainty continued (as is common in the world of work today), there was greater collaboration and support to counteract it.
- Consultants were able to leverage the AURA insights to think holistically about their personal wellbeing, better understand the warning signs of stress and develop strategies to deal effectively with the demanding nature of the work environment.